Introduction

A couple years after getting into long distance running, I decided to try to run a half-marathon or marathon in each state. After crossing off my fifth state, I recounted the race to my sister. As I described the hills, puddles, cows, lightning, thunder, and cornfields, she suggested that I begin a blog about my experiences and races. While it’s hard to imagine the many different races running together, I could see how it might happen. So, I looked back in my mind (and with the help of my t-shirt drawer) am going to document my runs through all 50 states. End of 2015 update: 16 states done!

12/13/2014

Kiawah Island Marathon (SC), December 13th, 2014

Traveling to Kiawah for a third year in a row it is fun to reflect on how the trip has grown.  In 2012, I traveled to the race on my own.  In 2013, I was lucky to be joined by 5 friends, and in 2014 we had a group of 14 (9 runners and 5 spectators).

Even though it included a marathon PR by 6 minutes (Boston qualifying is getting so close!), this weekend was about more than running my sixth marathon.  I had the chance to…
~Be there for 2 friends’ first halves and another one’s full.  Okay, I was actually still running when they finished, but I celebrated with them afterwards!
~Ask someone if she had seen a banana walk by.  This was postrace and I’m pretty sure she thought I was in that postrace-crazy state.  Then one of my friends walked up in a banana costume (with a carrot not too far behind).  Thanks to friends who came along to cheer and those who chose to do it in costume!
~Share the world’s largest bathroom with only one other person.  We managed to find a house that easily slept 14 of us with 5 bedrooms and 4.5 bathrooms, several of which were the size of my bedroom.
~Go for a postrun walk on the beach (which might have involved a stroll past Tom Hanks’ house)
~Win a hand of Cards Against Humanity with “Gogurt.”
~Enjoy brunch at High Cotton in Charleston.
~Share a bottle of Kiawah wine with travelmates on our one-year Kiawah reunion (said bottle of wine was obtained our first year as an apology for our wireless not working).


We’re already planning and looking forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment