Introduction

A couple years after getting into long distance running, I decided to try to run a half-marathon or marathon in each state. After crossing off my fifth state, I recounted the race to my sister. As I described the hills, puddles, cows, lightning, thunder, and cornfields, she suggested that I begin a blog about my experiences and races. While it’s hard to imagine the many different races running together, I could see how it might happen. So, I looked back in my mind (and with the help of my t-shirt drawer) am going to document my runs through all 50 states. End of 2015 update: 16 states done!

11/08/2014

Savannah Rock'n Roll Half Marathon (GA), November 8th, 2014

For a friend’s 40th we headed to south to Savannah.  As has happened with a number of my races, this one became as much about the trip and people I traveled with as the race itself.  In honor of my his 40th, here’s a brief overview (identifying the 40 most important words):
Tugboat-Yes, we took a tugboat to the race start.
Cobblestones-They’re great on the ankles and motivation to watch your every step.
Savannah Pedals-The night after the race we enjoyed the “pub with pedals” as a fun way to see the city.  What better way to recover from a half than pedaling around town for 2 hours.
Town Squares-Savannah is filled with town squares and monuments.  I quickly became accustomed to orienting myself based on proximity to a given square.  Or statue.  My favorite was John Wesley, a shout out to my Methodist heritage.
Open Containers=Legal-Within the historic district.  Which made the town squares, pedaling trip, and down time generally more entertaining.
Funky Brunch-A great little brunch spot that includes an electric griddle in the middle of tables allowing you to make your own pancakes.  Yum.
Phillip Phillips-He was the headliner for the postrace concert.  I discovered that I know more of his music than I thought.
Longest wait for food in a restaurant ever-We finally gave up, left, and were very thankful for Subway

Forrest Gump-A running movie, right?  After spending some time searching for it, we found the original Forrest Gump park bench has been moved from Chippewa Square to the Savannah History Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment